We all love a good home-cooked flour tortilla. You know, the ones that melt in your mouth and then warm your soul? We love them for street tacos, burritos, quesadillas; sometimes, we simply devour them plain because they are just THAT GOOD.
Whether you’re a tortilla connoisseur, a lover of cool new foods, or just looking for something different in your life- these tortillas are going to be your new favorite thing!
Here’s what you’ll need:
– 2 and 1/2 cups flour
– 2 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
– 1 Tablespoon Kosher salt
– 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons lard or vegetable shortening (we generally use butter instead- use your preference)
– 1 cup hot water
Chances are, you already have all these ingredients on hand! Ahh, the beauty of simple recipes.
Once you’ve got all your ingredients gathered up, here’s what you’ll do:
1) Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
2) Stir together.
3) Add spoonfuls of butter, then use a pastry cutter to combine ingredients. Cut mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Slowly pour in hot water, stirring to bring the mixture together. Lightly knead dough 30-40 times, or until it becomes a cohesive ball of dough and is less sticky.
4) Cover with a tea towel and allow the dough to rest for at least an hour.
5) Roll into ping pong sized balls, place on a tray, cover with a tea towel and allow to rest for another 20-30 minutes.
6) When you’re ready to make the tortillas, roll out dough balls into very thin, round tortillas. Place on the pre-heated CrepePro and cook about 20-30 seconds on each side or until lightly brown.